I first met Carly, Bryce & their gorgeous boy Corvo, when he was a tiny, 5 week old babe.
Carly recently reached out to me to update me of the outcome of her breastfeeding journey & has allowed me to share her story to benefit others.
In her own words Carly says….’My son was born with a tongue & lip tie causing him to loose 16% of his birth weight in the first few weeks. It was a difficult and daunting time in my life’
This beautiful family had to make the most of our Family Tree Village, whereby myself together with Dr. Paul Chamberlain, (Child only Chiropractor), Dr. Jeff Kestenberg (Dental Surgeon) & team supported them through the following issues:
*Low milk supply
*Tongue & lip tie surgery
*Poor weight gains
It’s easy to understand why this time was the most daunting in Carly’s life.
Despite the challenges, Carly is the greatest hero here.
She had the courage to put her faith in us & the will to power through.
Carly was able to successfully breastfeed Corvo for 7 months.
It mean’t so much to her because she wanted to give her son the best start in life.
Corvo is now a healthy, happy, active & thriving boy & Carly has no regrets.
Such an inspirational story, Carly’s journey demonstrates that it is a journey that you cannot do alone..
Reach out to your village!
Acknowledge that it can be difficult…but you will get there in the end
It’s all about giving it your best shot & that choice is yours to make & we will always be here for you without judgement x
Kellie Eason RN, RM, IBCLC
Kellie is a Nurse, Midwife & International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
So by now, you will have lined up a trusted source to babysit & some some breastmilk or bottle milk feeds ready to go! You're probably been thinking about it all week - feeling like how on earth you are going to cope being separated from your babe...even though you have been dying for a break for what feels like a century.
You are probably a combination of excited about dressing up, or feeling like a born again virgin cause its the first time in long while. You don't feel the same as you used to - you may be feeling a tad more curvy, leaky, emotional, not-as-pretty as you used to be. It may be "oh shit, my partner is wanting to get it on and I AM SO (NOT) UP FOR IT???
Guess what? Its pretty normal & if it's your first time, its a path in your journey that you need to cross...and guess what?
Parents have been doing it for ages
They actually do it again and again
Parents have a great time
Sometimes it not as good as it was hoped to be
But you know what? Date night is super important to reconnect with your best half and most importantly, it's really important to reconnect with yourself as someone who is not just a mother, but a woman with needs, wants, desires & the feels. for some fun & freedom!
All without lullabies, crying, dirty nappies and all the other demands we face!
So if you are that mum who is anticipating date night, here are a few tips:
1. Know you are absolutely beautiful - it takes super powers to keep a human thriving!
2. Your partner loves you just as much as the day they met you - that's what real love is all about!
3. You will survive date night & look forward to doing it again (in fact, you will dream of it again & again)
4. Baby sitters LOVE babysitting kids - so don't think you are being a burden & it's probably a good thing that your kidlets get a break from you too!
5. Your kidlets WILL survive you going out on date night, even if they begged for you to stay home or let out those heartfelt cries. They just want you to feel bad & as soon as you walk out the door, they'll be pleased they have a new source of attention (LOL!)
6. Make sure that your partner knows how you are feeling & where you are at with having sex - its all about talking boundaries, meeting each others needs & being on the same page at the same time
7. FYI - most couples don't have sex for at least 10 months after baby. - so it does't have to be a rush to get back in the sack
Have an amazing date!
If anyone wants to share their experiences, thoughts & ideas for date night, please feel free to share!