Milk...early parenting support. For information and support covering Pregnancy, Childbirth, Parenting, Infant feeding, Sleep & settling support - have a look at this update!
We now know more about the long term impacts on child health
TONGUE/LIP TIE FACTS 101:
1. Most tongue ties cannot be seen - a specialised oral & feeding assessment needs to take place in order for tongue ties to be diagnosed
2. Feeding & oral function assessments are not part of basic education for most health care professionals - Brazil is the first country to implement legislation for all infants to be assessed for tongue ties at birth & at regular intervals after birth - this means that all health care practitioners whom care for babies are trained to perform a specialised oral examination and assessment.
3. Potential Signs of tongue and/or upper lip tie:
4. Tongue and lip ties aren't the only ties that mouths can have - they can be inside cheeks as well
5. Tongue, Lip & Cheek ties are connective tissue within the mouth that is abnormally TIGHT & impairs complete oral function and can lead to dental, ear/nose/throat & sleeping problems.
6. Those affected with a tongue tie often have a narrow hard palate and this causes the nasal, sinus and ear tubes to be compressed. This leads to poor drainage of fluid/mucus & ear/nose/throat infections
7. Tongue ties can be "Faux" - in other words, they look like tongue ties but really aren't - when infants have tight head/neck muscles, it has an effect where the tongue and structural support muscles are pulled back like a tight ponytail.....this is why not all "tongue ties" are true tongue ties
8. Tongue Ties can lead to poor sleep quality due to open mouth breathing, sleep apnea and behavioural/attention difficulties
9. Babies who have a tongue tie, usually have an upper lip tie. Sometimes they can have one or the other
10. Children do not "grow out" of having a tongue or upper lip tie. These bands of connective tissue are abnormally tight like a rubber band that has lost its stretch and cannot relax
11. Check out the videos below for more insight on lip & tongue ties
12. Check out my weblinks for some valuable websites about Lip & Tongue Ties